Thank you for participating in the session today and making it so interactive and interesting.
In rapid random review – RRR – we discussed:
- Neonatal screening: think of Neonatal examination, Hearing besides blood spot test.
- Loss of consciousness: Seizure, Syncopal, Reflex Anoxic, Non Epileptic
- Brainstem death: pre-requisites, how. Organ donation
The clinical scenario was of a 2 1/2-year-old admitted with multiple bruises of different ages. Her auntie comes to collect her not knowing the possibility of non-accidental injury. Task was to discuss your concerns and plan with Role player. Dr H was an excellent Role player and Dr A took the hotseat. DR I & DR S – being the examiners. The scenario was attempted well and there are a few learning points.
- Read the TASK VERY CAREFULLY.
- Do not confuse background scenario info with TASK
- Note down important information – name, age, relationship
- Confirm identity and how to address the Role Player.
- Remain calm – follow 30 second rule – allow RP to join in conversation
- Respond to RP’s queries – DO NOT ignore them
- ACCURATE information – if not sure – say will check and come back
- In UK – health professional have a Legal duty to protect children – likely to be same world over
- Look at the camera to make eye contact ‘every now and then’ need not stare all the time
Please visit www.mrcpchonline.org to add your comments or any points I may have missed.