Thank you for participating in the session today and making it so informative. The scenario was of a 15-year-old diabetic who has microalbuminuria and needs to be started on a new medication. Dr K & Dr H were role players (RP) and was very good – ideal patient. Dr H & Dr S were in the hotseat and remained calm and addressed the concerns and tackled the given task.
- Appropriate introductions: If you ‘know’ the ‘person /RP’ introduce accordingly
- Not like a unknown stranger – it will seem odd.
- Rapport building and then mention the task
- Do Not forget 30 sec rule
- Bad news – PAUSE – keep quiet for 5 secs – let RP come in ask a question / comment.
- Keep it SIMPLE but AVOID baby talk
- Jargon – if used – explain what it means and in context
- Summarize at 6 minutes – do not need to say ‘I am now summarizing’
- Summarize in 30 sec.
- ‘Failure’ of treatment – commonest cause ‘NON Compliance’ even if denied at first – check & confirm.
- Compassion & empathy – keep in mind and demonstrate
- Do not confuse Communication & History & Management
- Pick up ALL information of concern and signpost appropriately & Stick to Task.
Please leave your comments or any points I may have missed.