Thank you for participating in the session today and making it so interesting.
The scenarios of a young person coming to the hospital with a friend having taken some tablets at home. The young person would not engage with the candidate only repeating ‘I want to die’ ‘what’s the point of further tests?’ Dr A was a brilliant role player and Dr S took the hot seat. It is a tough station and engaging and breaking the ice with the role player who is the key to succeeding at the station. Dr K took the hot seat next and for our discussion we addressed how such a scenario could be tackled effectively.
- Don’t beat around the bush and if stuck in a rut think out of the box
- Explore role players agenda
- Do not talk too much – 30 sec rule – remember to give Role player opportunity to speak
- As doctors & team for Physical well being there are teams for mental well being to help
- ‘Psychiatrist’ intervention may get a ‘why response’
- Dry medical facts in detail are generally not required
- In teenager – suicide / drug over dose – CRY for HELP – act according with ‘Medical covered’
- Respect confidentiality of Teenager vs information to parents
Please add your comments or points I may have missed.