Thank you for participating in the session today.
In RRR we discussed:
- Obesity – complications
- Antenatal diagnosis by USS
The Communication scenario was of a newborn with severe birth asphyxia requiring cooling, task was to explain to parent and take consent for transfer to tertiary unit. Dr A was our Role player and Dr A took the hotseat. Good attempt but with some limitations due to internet connection. Dr P stepped in and made a good effort. Most points for good communication were covered but there is always room for improvement.
The Learning points are:
- Situational awareness for introductions – try not to use standard phrases
- Check prior knowledge of Role Player before getting into your stride
- Avoid medical jargon – if necessary – explain
- 30 sec rule – Max talk for 30 secs – can be less
- Dialogue and NOT a monolgue
- Explain Normal first and then the abnormality
- Do not be a passimist – be Positve and factually correct
- Summarize at 6 mins – only a few sentences are needed
- Acknowledgewhat Role Player is saying – answer if possible
Please visit www.mrcpchonline.org to add your comments or points I may have missed.