Thank you for participating in the sessions today.
In RRR we discussed:
- Assessment of Seriously Sick child – ABCD
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Anorexia Nervosa
The Communication Scenario was of an 11 month old admitted following a convulsion and a clinical diagnosis of meningitis. Task was to discuss with parent for consent for LP and further treatment. Father is not happy with LP. Dr M was a good role player (RP) acting as father and Dr V took the hot seat. Very knowledgeable with facts having some difficulty in putting it across to an adamant father.
- After introductions check what RP understands of situation.
- Do NOT be Jargonistic.
- Seizure vs ‘fit’ – consider appropriate terminology
- Respond to cues. Listen carefully.
- Is ‘child’ going to be OK? a very common question.
- Be honest and do not promise that is that is not ‘correct’.
- ‘Should be well with treatment’ is generally a good response.
- Most scenarios are not about technicalities of procedures.
- Lumbar Puncture is NOT mandatory for TREATING suspected meningitis.
- If RP refuses do NOT go round more than twice – look for alternative approach.
Vist www.mrcpchonline.org to add your comments or add points I may have missed.