Thank you for participating in the sessions on Tuesday and Thursday following a very successful Intensive Revision Course.
We covered the neurology station initially working through a template of how the station could be attempted and then yesterday working through a case which on universal cues was likely to have Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Dr J took the hot seat. He covered a lot of points and was followed by Dr M who covered further.
- Be structures in your approach
- Describe your summary of Universal cues in 30 seconds – mention now will proceed with rest of the task..
- General physical examination is part at any clinical examination station.
- Spend 30 seconds – standing 2 feet away from the patient observing the surroundings & ‘child’.
- Wheel chairs / splints / walking aids / features of child
- Test Gait – describe
- Test power in muscle groups at each joint – ONE at a time
- Do not ask details of three joints in one breath
- Do not forget 4 / 5 Ss – Squint / Shunt / Spine / Shoes / Scars – (tenotomy)
- Diagnosis DMD: Family history – CPK – Dystophin gene. Biopsy not done.
Add your comments or any points I may have missed.