Thank you for participation in the communication scenario today. 11 month baby was admitted with features suggestive of meningitis. Task was to explain findings and get consent for LP and further treatment. Role players performed exceptionally well and we wondered if they had a brighter future in Bollywood / Theatre also.
The learning points are:
- Use correct anatomical description – Meningitis is not really a ‘brain’ it is of ‘covering of brain’
- Meningitis is often accompanied by encephalitis – meningo-encephalitis.
- Do not introduce new terms -‘Brain fever’ – it can mean different to different people
- Need to be empathic and build rapport with role player.
- Address role player’s concerns else they will not move forward.
- Role players should guide the agenda after 2 mins into scenario.
- Have confidence in your abilities and use them to reassure parent / role player
- You should be able to LP, venepuncture, drain a pneumothorax
- Remain calm in face of Angry or defiant parents who do not agree with you initially.
Add your comments or any points I may have missed.