Thank you for your participation in the session today.
In RRR we discussed:
- UTI in children Diagnosis
- Brain death
- Breast Feeding – advantages & disadvantages
The Communication scenario was discussion with parent of a child admitted with severe head injuries following a Road Traffic Accident. Request for organ donation. Dr J was superb Role player bringing out all the emotions to play. Dr P and Dr M took the hotseat. The scenario was done well and there were was very appropriate comments & feedback from nominated examiners.
Learning points are:
- Read the introduction very carefully and keep the task in mind.
- After introductions check Role Players understanding to the point of discussion …
- Avoid monologue – Role player to speak instead of you initially
- 30 Sec Rule is GOLD
- Address their concerns and points raised
- Avoid jargon
- Communication is MORE of a Listening Station
- When you TALK – you are more likely to make mistakes!!
- Be aware of your ‘cultural annotations’ …
- ”Are you OK?” after giving Bad information
- When giving Definite diagnosis … ‘Do NOT think.’
- Be Empathic
- It is not about letting RP know ALL that you know.
- ‘Ray of Hope for some even in this ‘grave and sad’ time.
Please visit www.mrcpchonline.org to add your comments or points I may have missed.