Thank you for participating in the session today.
We discussed starting a new medication for renal protection for a 15-year-old diabetic. Dr P was an excellent role player who displayed controlled emotions as well as stipulated in the role-played information. Dr R and Dr A took the hot seat and there was definite improvement in the second attempt.
Learning points are:
- Be aware of the Context of scenario – where & why it is happening.
- Communication is a TWO way process
- Avoid MONOLOGUE. Do not forget the 30 sec rule.
- It is NOT a knowledge test – you do not have to tell all you know of the subject.
- Accuracy of information and over all disease profile – keep in mind.
- By 2 minutes you should have a reasonably good idea of Role player’s agenda.
- Try and avoid “Do You Understand” … sounds grating on ears.
- Park issues not central to task to be tackled later – do not ignore e.g. high HBA1C.
- Try and avoid technical terms but also do not make it Baby talk.
- Summarize at 6 mins in 30 secs and then carry on with unfinished agenda.
- It will also be a reminder to you to realize what you have completed and What still needs attending to.
- Bring other team members into care plan – Specialist nurse, Dietician – Need not be a One man Band
If there are other points you wish to add or I have forgotten.
Good evening Dr
I joined already with you..Is it allowed to me to join online course..because I received emails from you after every session.. Regards
Sent from my Galaxy
Dear Dr – Thank you for your query. Learning points following each session I send to all who have contacted me. However to join online sessions you need to subscribe to the group. If you wish not to receive the Learning points do let me know.