we discussed a one day old baby who was jittery irritable very hungry – Neonatal abstinence.
The learning points were:
- Think out in clinical settings
- carefully watch for signs – do not make them
- have a reasonable differential diagnosis
- present findings in a systematic order
- do NOT jump to specific diagnosis and dig a hole for yourself
- Keep your Consultant and Parents in the loop
- i/v Drug user – remember AIDS & Hep B & C
- Appropriate protection for the baby
- Monitoring chart attached – score of > 8 significant.
- Look up local guidelines.