Thank you participating in the session.
In RRR we discussed:
- Recurrent wheeze in 4.5 yr old
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Stridor in 2.5 yr old.
The Communication scenario was addressing concerns of parents of a 4 hour old baby noted to be dusky with possible diagnosis of heart disease. Dr D took the hotseat while Dr S was concerned Role player. Dr D conducted herself very well even with an upset father. Other colleagues gave relevant comments.
The Learning points are:
- Communication is about RP’s agenda – NOT yours.
- Follow Shishir’s 2 min rule and speak with 30 sec AG’s rule
- Check RP’s understanding of what is ‘going on?’
- Examine the child with parents to discuss abnormal cues
- Much better than drawing on a piece of paper in most circumstance
- BE reassuring – I have managed similar conditions before
- “With treatment child should be fine.”
- Read the scenario very carefully
- Focus on the task
- Develop a differential on initial information and think broadly.
- Do NOT apologize too many times – seems odd when you are the observer.
- What is going on is NOT your fault or doing
- You do feel for the ‘parent’ and hence feel Sorry / empathic for them.
- Work in small groups and practice, practice & Practice
Visit www.mrcpchonline.org to add your comments or points I may have missed.